Nebula VM Intro...

I was preparing for class when I recalled that it has been weeks since my first post then I thought to myself it's probably because of school, but remembered something I read in Phineas Fisher's paper "if not you, who? if not now, when?" and hence this post. The truth is during the past weeks I have gathered a lot of content for the blog, I just haven't had the time to properly document and post, so after a lot of thought I have decided to start with a walkthrough of the Nebula VM, there is already a lot of walkthroughs on the internet on this machine, but I thought one extra post won't hurt, moreover my aim is to make my post different from most technical post I have seen online, how do I plan to this? most posts I come across on the internet show how to do something, not why and I think that approach most of the time leaves a beginner confused, therefore what I intend to do on this blog is to show the reader why we do what we do.

Disclaimer: All content on this blog are for educational intent only, but how you choose to use your knowledge is entirely left to you.

About Nebula

From the Author's site:
Nebula takes the participant through a variety of common (and less common) weaknesses and vulnerabilities in Linux. It takes a look at

  • SUID files
  • Permissions
  • Race conditions
  • Shell meta-variables
  • PATH weaknesses
  • Scripting language weaknesses
  • Binary compilation failures
At the end of Nebula, the user will have a reasonably thorough understanding of local attacks against Linux systems, and a cursory look at some of the remote attacks that are possible.

Lab Setup
  • Download Nebula VM (why?): this is the Linux virtual machine containing the exploit exercises we are going solve
  • Download & Install VirtualBox (why?): this allows you to run the Nebula VM that you downloaded in the previous step, although there are other options in my experience VirtualBox works well
  • Download & install Kali Linux (optional): this machine will be used to solve the exploit exercises
  • Host OS: Windows 10
Both Kali Linux and Nebula VM are configured with a Host-Only Virtual Box Network Adapter

PS: this post and the next few posts will be geared towards beginners, if anything is unclear you can always use the comment section or search google

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Before You Dive In...

OverTheWire: Bandit Lab

SSRF Notes: PortSwigger Labs Continued